Friday, March 4, 2011

Sprouts, the good, the bad, and the horrific hulk ivy...

The last weekend of February, I went outside with Britches and decided to look at the garden and dream of everything that's going to be growing there! Then I looked down between the bales and under some bales..... Ivy....... So, we have this horrible Ivy in our yard that I absolutely despise. When we started the beds I thought that fresh and old clippings would be safe to put as the bottom layer. Also we did not put any compost down for two weeks so I thought the fresh clippings had time to die. Boy, was I wrong! It started growing and tried getting sunshine any way it wanted to! Amanda, while shoveling heavy manure and trying to pull out this wonderful vine from pounds and pounds of manure, lovingly named the ivy as, "hulk ivy!"

ugh, barf...

This morning I was outside with Britches, once again, and I looked at the garden tried troubleshooting on how to fix this ivy problem and apparently pumpkin or acorn squash or SPAGHETTI SQUASH (nom.. nom.. nom.. nom.. nom..) seeds last a long time and will sprout even though I put them in the compost bin months ago. It's okay, I think they're cute! Even though we may not have room for these guys, I invite them to enjoy the soil and grow as big as they can! :)

Also, the bales are sprouting! It's A-okay with me! I have read this is normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And now, some of the actual plants we're going to grow are sooo happy in their little indoor nursery. The tomatoes are looking big and healthy!

Oh my gatos, I wish it was warm enough to put them outside! Sheesh, I'm hungry already....



I don't know what's the deal with these dudes.... Seriously, they're delicious and they better grow well or else...




P.S. I went into the "woods" and found this little gem! Hello Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment